A Gent's Outlook

A Literary Agent Divulges the TRUTH about Publishing

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The Blue and the Gray Come Out

So, are we going to remain anonymous forever? Okay, well, I am, but you ladies WANT to come out, don’t you? I think many folks by now have figured out it isn’t an East/West coast thing as much as a North/South thing, isn’t it, Peaches? I just love that girl-on-girl action!

I know how you feel, you know. I grew up in a family that was half homosexual and half heterosexual. My father was a perceptive, kind man who stayed with my mother until her passing, but after that he came out. He had been gay and lived a lie so that he could raise his family without worrying about repercussions against us for his sexual orientation. This was way back when gays were still arrested for just being alive. Then, in his later years, he met a man and they made up for lost time, soulmates until he passed away himself. My point in all this? At some time, I had to break the news to him that I was straight, and semi-, okay, full-on, promiscuous. Remember, this is a man I loved dearly who taught me everything I know about being human and everything that goes with it, and I didn’t want to disappoint him. But he wasn’t disappointed in me as I was, just disappointed that I ever felt I had to hide anything from him. He knew how awful that was, and so I sometimes wonder about exposing myself. I mean my identity, you heathens, not my body. Get your minds out of the gutter.

Anyway, I figure by now that Peaches and Cream are just chomping at the bit to come out, to say what they say without all the cloak and dagger bullshit. To be taken seriously and get credit for those nuggets wisdom so lovingly heaped upon writerdom. I, on the other hand, have never been taken seriously in my life, which only made it more satifying when I dropped in on my high school reunion a few years back and slept with the wife of the guy who fucked my prom date three days before the big night. So, who wants to come out and play?

Ladies first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home