A Gent's Outlook

A Literary Agent Divulges the TRUTH about Publishing

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Be Careful What You Wish For

Thank you for the great comments I’ve been getting on my blog. I especially like the ones about how small my equipment is and how a noxious odor seeps from my gonads. The writer calls him or herself anonymous, but I think it must be from someone that I’ve jilted lately, surely not someone I’ve slept with. Anyway, keep those cards and letters coming, folks, and I’ll try to keep you entertained. Not really.

Did you ever notice how some writers just can’t stand rejection? They hold off sending anything to anyone until they build up enough nerve, then they wait anxiously for the rejection bomb to blow up in their face. My timid little tit-mice, writing for publication is not a career for the meek or those who do not seek exposure. Sooner or later someone is going to hate what you write. Look at me. Everyone hates what I write, but does deter me from my mission of pissing off the world? You bet your ass it doesn’t. Not one bit!

Have you ever considered that what you write might be accepted and not rejected? What happens then? Which is more scary: getting a rejection letter in the privacy of your own home or having to explain your book in front of a million viewers and a live national television audience to a dickhead interviewer who hates your guts? Would you then die? Would you become so ill that you’d lock yourself in your home and never come out? Have you ever considered that everyone is afraid of being exposed, of being famous? Acceptance can sometimes be scarier than rejection. Think about it.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:03 PM, Blogger Amie Stuart said…

    I DO believe success (a sale) scares some writers more than rejection.

     
  • At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Smurfling said…

    I thought things would be great because I got published by a great house. Nobody prepped me for the shit that follows a best-seller. I almost went out of my mind. Thanks to Sammy for mentioning it. I hear all these writers at conferences where I speak get all giddy over getting published, and I try to tell them about the stress, but they get upset like I am trying to discourage my competition. Man, they have no idea...

     
  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger Jerrdren said…

    I've actually thought about this--envisioned what you mentioned, but it doesn't keep me from submitting my work.

    Enjoyed your blog!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home